Teachers Pay Teachers TPT: Distance Learning Motivation (Rainbow Badges)



Distance Learning Success: 
Rainbow Badges


    With the school year officially coming to a close about two weeks ago, it's given me time to reflect on how Distance Learning went. Besides being summarized by my teaching being powered by an array of Pop Tart flavors and iced coffee and lots of late nights, it also yielded laughs, memories, and being able to see some of my students in a whole different light that only Distance Learning allowed for.
    I had a pretty high student engagement (that is, when my students woke up "early" for our 9 o'clock virtual meetings) consistently. My students were just so happy to be able to see each other, and I, too, (their teacher they've known for a full quarter due to my maternity leave) was so happy to get to see their cheery faces that reminded me of some normalcy being back in the classroom. Early on, I asked my students what they would like to see in this Distance Learning format; types of assignments they would like to do, what they would like to learn about, what kinds of things I should create to help them stay motivated. 
    A student suggested that we have a rainbow type of thing to keep track of things. So, I ran with his idea and created the Google Slides called our Rainbow Badges. After every 6 assignments were completed, they would be awarded with a badge that they requested (within reason). One of my favorites was the Teach a Lesson badge. A couple of my students opted for that and created ENGAGING lesson videos and student assignments that went along with it. It was BEAUTIFUL. This is something that I wouldn't have ever been able to witness had it not been through Distance Learning (something positive that came out of this junk situation). 

    Here's the Teachers Pay Teachers link to the Rainbow Badge Google Slides that you can use for your own class, whether it be through Distance Learning or even being able to use in our normal classroom format! I would love to hear your experience with using this! 


Comments