End of the Year Gifts: Distance Learning Edition


    At a "normal" school year, I typically create a collage of pictures that I've taken of the student along with a letter specifically written to them. BUT, then, I realized as I looked through my camera roll and on my Google Drive that I had close to no pictures of my students. I could chalk it up to having only one quarter of trying to really get to know them before this COVID-19 happened (since I was out on maternity for a semester), but, meh, we will say that I wasn't on it with taking enough photos of the kiddos. 
    I had to be extra creative this year. With Distance Learning I was also concerned with keeping the level of student engagement that I was becoming to get used to (at least 14 kids on our online face-to-face meetings), so we did Hoss Elections where students got to choose which classmate best fit a category like "Most Likely to Be President", "Most Caring Mouseketeer", and so on. Students completed a Google Form where every student's name popped up on each category with the note that they try to make sure they've nominated every student for something. 18 out of 19 students put in their votes (even ones who opted to do the paper-pencil packet instead of online). During the last week of school, I presented the Hoss Election Winners! The students were so excited. 
    So on their end of the year gift, you will see the following:
  1. Self portrait
  2. Summary of their 4th grade year they wrote themselves
  3. Messages from their classmates (each student had a table where their classmates could write to        them)
  4. Rainbow Badges (FREEBIE) they redeemed after completing 6 online assignments 
  5. Hoss Election Certificate officially declaring which category they "won" + an ACTUAL Award Badge! I bought these barrel pins and hot glue gunned them so they can wear them! 
  6. A letter from the teacher
    These will be hopefully will be happily received by my kiddos in the mail when I pack them up in envelopes and mail them out this week. I'm so excited for it!

    I'd love to know what you did for the end of the year gift this year since it's been pretty out of the ordinary!

Comments