Distance Learning Highlights: A Message from Spider-Man (Peter B. Parker)

A Message from Spiderman (Peter B. Parker)
(AKA Jake Johnson)
   
    I have quite a few highlights from our online Distance Learning, but this one has got to top them all. At the beginning stages of our stay-at-home order, I happened upon a Buzzfeed story about how Jake Johnson (you may know him from "New Girl", which I by the way have watched twice over) had been lending his voice, the same voice that was Peter B. Parker from Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse, to help lift the spirits of the youngins during this crazy and scary time. I thought it was worth 5 minutes to write him an email and ask for some words of encouragement for my students even though I probably wouldn't be getting a response (I'm sure he was a busy guy with much email to sift through and respond to!)
    Fast forward a week or two when I completely forgot about the email. I got a notification, "Huh? An email from Peter B. Parker?" THEN I REMEMBERED. I jumped for joy, squealed and happy-danced in front of my puzzled husband. I could not BELIEVE that he emailed back! Not only did he email back, but he also left a personalized voice message to my students. 
    Before the next web meeting with my kiddos, I posted on my Google Classroom that there would be a surprise and asked them what they thought it was going to be. Although... it really broke my heart when a kiddo asked excitedly, "Are we coming back to school?!"
    The day of, I shared with them the video. THEY WERE SO EXCITED! I got major cool points. I later asked on Google Classroom what they thought of it and thought their responses were so cute.
    My kiddos needed to hear this. They needed to have some positivity or some words of encouragement, or that things would be ok. It also made it 10x better to hear it from Spider-Man.
    By the way, if you haven't already, you should watch Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Also, I am a new fan of Jake Johnson, and you should be, too.

Comments